Wednesday 19 July 2017

Many moons ago

Hey guys,

I'd like to let you peek into a bit of my past.  Hehe.  Nothing too crazy, don't worry.  As many of you know, I grew up riding horses.  We always had horses in the front yard, and we lived down the street from legit cowboys, one cowboy in particular, named J.D. Thornbury.

Every year, our town would have a parade, and J.D. often asked me to carry the sign for him in the parade.  It was either me and my sister, me and a friend, etc...  This picture (date unknown) is me and a neighbor friend named Roslyn.  I'm on the right.  I must be around 13 years old.  J.D. was known for Roman riding, which was standing on two horses at once.  He could even get them up to a gallop.  It was so fun to watch.


J.D. has since passed away (brief bio of his life HERE - Daphné and I read that children's book together), but his son, Dave, and Dave's son Cody still keep the cowboy tradition alive.  Dave is a well-accomplished trick roper - video below.


And Dave also makes beautiful leather chaps.  See his facebook page HERE.

Cody, Dave's son, just happens to be my brother's best friend.  They were each other's best men in their respective weddings =).  Cody carries on the tradition of cowboy in his stunt riding.  You can see the list of all the movies he has been involved with on IMDB.

Anyways, a fun little blast from the past.  Cool thing:  Dave and his wife Julie still live a few doors down from my mom and dad in Old Agoura.  And I think Cody and his wife and 3 kids are in their guest house ;).  I just loved growing up in our little time warp cowboy town.

Love Linz

1 comment: