Wednesday 28 September 2011

day of rest

importance of a Sabbath day

 (a picture of Ville Franche that I took from a bus ride to Monaco one day)


this morning, i was reading out of my cute, pink leather One-Year Bible, and I was comforted and also convicted by the following verse:

I will also bless the foreigners who commit themselves to the LORD, who serve him and love his name, who worship him and do not desecrate the Sabbath day of rest, and who hold fast to my covenant. --Isaiah 56:6

as you can imagine, the part about God blessing foreigners made me happy, so happy i wrote it down in my journal.  i am an American in France...i look different, dress different, talk different, and even walk different...it's easy to pick me out of a crowd as a non-Frenchie.  

it's been a wrestle for me - asking "who am i?" "will people here ever know the real lindsey?"  thankfully, i serve an amazing God who knows me and created me, and i have a wonderful supportive and encouraging husband who helps me daily.

as many of you know, i love traveling, and i love to try to become part of the culture i am in.  this has been something i work at often, especially with learning the language, the dress, the food, and the gestures like kissing cheeks instead of hugs.  slowly but surely, it's coming. and it's tiring.

a good reason to take a Sabbath.

i admit, i tend to desecrate (or disrespect) the Sabbath day of rest...no excuses, I'm just a bad "rester"

i guess i share all this to encourage you (and me) to rest and take time to enjoy the down time.  currently, i am writing from bed, as i am sick for the second time in the last 3 weeks...sometimes God has His way of helping us respect His day of rest. 

i know some of you pray for us - thank you.  please pray for our health and fatigue, for Tonio as he works at church, and for the upcoming visit of my parents - i'm so excited to show them my life here with my incredible husband !

hoping this blog post encourages you
blessings,
lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment